Summary & Key TakeawaysShow
Mustafizur Rahman: A Prominent Left-arm Pacer from Bangladesh
Mustafizur Rahman, a left-arm fast-medium bowler from Bangladesh, has emerged as one of the most talented fast bowlers of his generation.
Born on September 6, 1995, in Satkhira, Bangladesh, he has made a significant impact in both the international and franchise cricket arenas.
Known for his ability to bowl precise deliveries and slower balls, he has earned the nickname “The Fizz”, Mustafizur’s journey from a young talent to a cricketing sensation is a story of hard work, skill, and determination.
Mustafizur’s cricket journey began in earnest in 2012 when he traveled to Dhaka to attend a fast bowlers camp.
He was first noticed in an Under-17 tournament in Satkhira and was soon inducted into the Bangladesh Cricket Board’s fast bowling foundation.
His performances in the 2014 Under-19 Cricket World Cup, where he took eight wickets, were a testament to his burgeoning talent.
He started his first-class and List A cricket career in 2014, representing Khulna Division and Abahani Limited, respectively.
In the Bangladesh Premier League, Mustafizur made his mark with Dhaka Dynamites in the 2015 season, taking 14 wickets in 10 matches.
His performances in the BPL were a precursor to his success in international cricket. He has also played for teams like Rajshahi Kings, Rangpur Rangers, and Comilla Victorians in the BPL.
His ODI debut against India in June 2015 was historic, as he became the first player to take 11 wickets in his first two one-day international matches.
IPL Career and Other Franchises
Mustafizur’s IPL journey began with Sunrisers Hyderabad in 2016, where he played a pivotal role in their title win and was named the Emerging Player of the Tournament.
He has also played for Mumbai Indians, Rajasthan Royals, and Delhi Capitals in the IPL. In addition to the IPL, he has participated in the NatWest T20 Blast for Sussex and was picked by Lahore Qalandars in the Pakistan Super League.
Career Across Formats
- Test Cricket: Mustafizur’s Test debut came against South Africa in 2015. He has shown potential in the longest format, with notable performances against various teams.
- ODI Cricket: In ODIs, Mustafizur has been a revelation, with his debut series against India standing out. He has consistently been among the wickets and has been a crucial player for Bangladesh.
- T20 Cricket: In T20 internationals, Mustafizur has used his variations effectively, making him a tough bowler to face. His performances in the T20 World Cup and various T20 leagues around the world speak volumes of his capabilities in this format.
Cricket Records of Mustafizur Rahman
Mustafizur Rahman, the renowned left-arm pacer from Bangladesh, has made a significant mark in international cricket with his exceptional bowling skills.
His career, spanning from 2015 to 2023, is adorned with numerous records and milestones in Tests, ODIs, and T20s. Here’s a detailed look at some of his significant records:
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- 3rd Best figures in an innings on debut (5 wickets)
- 3rd Most consecutive five-wickets-in-an-innings (2 times)
- 6th Fastest to 100 wickets (in 54 matches)
- 12th Most wickets on a single ground (53 wickets)
- 14th Best figures in an innings when on the losing side (5 wickets)
- 19th Fastest to 50 wickets (in 27 matches)
- 13th Fastest to 150 wickets (in 91 matches)
- 20th Most ducks in a series (3 ducks)
- 39th Most wickets in a series (27 wickets)
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- 1st Most wickets on a single ground (40 wickets)
- 2nd Best figures in an innings when on the losing side (5 wickets)
- 5th Fastest to 100 wickets (in 81 matches)
- 7th Most wickets in career (105 wickets)
- 9th Most four-wickets-in-an-innings in a career (4 times)
- 10th Most balls bowled in career (1840 balls)
- 9th Most runs conceded in career (2309 runs)
- 4th Most wickets taken caught by a wicketkeeper (14 wickets)
- 14th Fastest to 50 wickets (in 33 matches)
- 16th Most runs in an innings by batting position (15 runs)
- 47th Most ducks in career (6 ducks)
- Mustafizur’s Test records are not listed among the top records, but his contributions in this format have been noteworthy.
Other Notable Records:
- ODI Bowling: Notable for his strike rate and ability to take wickets in clusters.
- T20I Bowling: Known for his economy and effectiveness in the shortest format.
- Fielding in T20Is: Recorded 3 catches in an innings.
- Individual Player Records: Played 86 T20I matches, showcasing his consistency and longevity in the format.
- Maidens in T20Is: Bowled 6 maiden overs in his career.
Mustafizur Rahman: A Glimpse into His Family Background
Mustafizur Rahman, the celebrated left-arm fast-medium bowler from Bangladesh, has not only made a name for himself in the cricketing world but also has a rich family background that has significantly influenced his journey. Here’s a comprehensive look at his family life:
Early Life and Family Roots
Mustafizur Rahman was born on September 6, 1995, in the small town of Satkhira in Khulna, Bangladesh. He is the youngest son of Abul Qasem Gazi and Mahmuda Khatun.
His father, an enthusiastic fan of cricket, played a pivotal role in nurturing Mustafizur’s interest in the sport.
Growing up in a supportive family environment, Mustafizur’s passion for cricket was evident from an early age.
Siblings and Early Influence
Mustafizur’s journey in cricket was heavily influenced by his family, especially his elder brother Mokhlesur Rahman.
It was Mokhlesur who would accompany Mustafizur on long 40-kilometer journeys to play cricket, fostering his younger brother’s growing interest in the game.
This dedication often meant that Mustafizur would miss school, indicating his early commitment to cricket.
Marriage and Personal Life
On a more personal note, Mustafizur Rahman is married to Samiya Parvin. The couple tied the knot on March 22, 2019, in an intimate ceremony.
Samiya Parvin, a psychology student at Dhaka University, has been a pillar of support in Mustafizur’s life, especially during challenging times.
A significant event in Mustafizur’s life occurred on March 15, 2019, when he and several members of the Bangladesh test team narrowly escaped a terrorist attack at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.
This traumatic experience deeply affected Mustafizur and his teammates. His marriage to Samiya shortly after this incident was seen as a step towards healing and moving forward from the shock of the attack.
Inspirations and Aspirations
Before focusing on bowling, Mustafizur initially played as a batsman with a tennis ball. His idol and inspiration in cricket is the Pakistani pacer Mohammad Amir.
Mustafizur’s journey from playing cricket in his hometown to representing Bangladesh on the international stage is a testament to his hard work, talent, and the unwavering support of his family.
Mustafizur Rahman: An Insight into His Net Worth and Financial Profile
Mustafizur Rahman, the renowned left-arm fast-medium bowler from Bangladesh, has not only made a significant impact in the world of cricket but also amassed a considerable net worth through his cricketing endeavors. Here’s a comprehensive look at his financial profile:
Net Worth and Earnings
- Estimated Net Worth: Mustafizur Rahman’s net worth is estimated to be around $13 million, which is approximately INR 10.58 crore. This wealth accumulation is attributed to his earnings from salary, match fees, brand endorsements, and investments.
- IPL Salary: Mustafizur has been a part of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for several seasons. He was purchased by Rajasthan Royals for INR 1 crore at the IPL 2021 auction. Later, Delhi Capitals acquired his services for INR 2 crore at the IPL 2022 auction and retained him ahead of the IPL 2023 mini-auction.
Mustafizur endorses the popular brand “Coca-Cola” in Bangladesh and serves as the Brand Ambassador of this American multinational beverage corporation.
Mustafizur resides with his family in the Satkhira District, Bangladesh. However, precise details about his house are not widely available.
Additional Financial Information
- Another source estimates Mustafizur Rahman’s net worth to be between Rs. 20 crores to Rs. 35 crores.
- He has played for Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mumbai Indians, Rajasthan Royals, and Delhi Capitals in the IPL, with his salary varying each year.
6 Biggest Controversy Surrounding Mustafizur Rahman
Mustafizur Rahman, the talented left-arm pacer from Bangladesh, has been involved in several controversies throughout his cricketing career. Here’s a chronological overview of these incidents, starting from the most recent:
1. IPL Auction 2024: Collision Reminder with MS Dhoni (2023)
2. Controversial Dismissal in Australia vs Bangladesh Match (2023)
A controversial moment occurred during a match between Australia and Bangladesh when Mitchell Marsh walked off, but Mustafizur claimed there was no contact with the ball.
The umpires referred the decision to the third umpire for a closer look, highlighting the confusion on the field.
3. Denied NOC by BCB for IPL 2020 (2020)
Mustafizur Rahman was denied a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) for IPL 2020.
He was approached by Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders, but the BCB refused the NOC due to Bangladesh’s scheduled tour of Sri Lanka.
4. Babul Supriyo Controversy (2020)
A student named Mustafizur Rahman was involved in a controversy with Union Minister Babul Supriyo.
Supriyo threatened to “pack him off to his own country” after Rahman commented on the minister’s Facebook post. Rahman demanded an apology for being targeted due to his Muslim name.
5. IPL 2021 No-ball Controversy (2021)
Controversy arose over the legality of two deliveries bowled by Mustafizur in an IPL match between Rajasthan Royals and Punjab Kings.
6. Collision with MS Dhoni (2015)
Mustafizur Rahman collided with MS Dhoni during an ODI match between India and Bangladesh. Dhoni was fined 75% of his match fee, and Mustafizur, who was making his debut, was fined 50%.
All You Need to Know about Mustafizur Rahman
Which IPL team bought Mustafizur Rahman?
Chennai Super Kings bought Mustafizur Rahman in the IPL 2024 auction for his base price of 2 crore INR. He will represent CSK in the upcoming season.
What is the rank of Mustafizur Rahman in ICC?
As of today, Mustafizur Rahman’s ranking in the ICC ODI Bowling Rankings is 50 and in the T20I Bowling Rankings is 65. His Test ranking is not currently available as he hasn’t played Test cricket in over a year.
Is Mustafizur Rahman a spinner?
No, Mustafizur Rahman is a fast bowler, known for his deceptive variations, swing bowling, and ability to generate good pace. He’s not a spinner.
What was the price of Mustafizur Rahman in IPL 2023?
Mustafizur Rahman remained unsold in the IPL 2023 auction and didn’t play in the season. His return to the IPL comes in the 2024 edition.