Umesh Yadav is one of the best bowler who master speed and accuracy in powerplay and death overs in T20s format. His cricket career started with Vidarbha in domestic league, but goes beyond into the prestigious IPL.
Summary and Key TakeawaysShow
Umesh Yadav: A Cricket Titan from Nagpur
Umesh Yadav’s journey from the bylanes of Nagpur to the pinnacle of international cricket is a story of resilience and hard work.
His ability to adapt to different formats and maintain his pace and fitness has made him an integral part of Indian cricket. Here are some story of Umesh Yadav:
Early Life and Domestic Career
Umesh Yadav, born on October 25, 1987, in Nagpur, Maharashtra, is a testament to sheer determination and hard work.
His early life was marked by struggles, with his father working as a coal miner. Initially aspiring to join the police force or the army, Yadav eventually turned to cricket as a means to support his family.
He started his cricketing journey with Vidarbha in 2008, quickly making a mark with his impressive pace and swing.
His raw talent was evident in his debut Ranji Trophy season, where he picked up 20 wickets at an average of 14.60.
He quickly became a vital part of India’s pace attack, known for his speed and ability to swing the ball. In the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup, he emerged as India’s highest wicket-taker and the third-highest overall.
His Test career has been marked by notable performances, including a memorable spell against Australia in 2011, where he was India’s highest wicket-taker in the series.
IPL and Franchise Career
Yadav’s breakthrough came with his selection for the Central Zone in the Duleep Trophy, followed by his IPL debut with Delhi Daredevils in 2010.
His performances in the IPL, where he consistently clocked speeds over 140 km/h, caught the attention of national selectors.
His ability to take early wickets and maintain a good economy rate has made him a valuable player in the league. In 2024, he was signed by Gujarat Titans for Rs 5.8 crore, highlighting his continued relevance in the format.
Career Across Formats
Yadav’s career in different formats has been a journey of evolution. In Tests, he has been known for his pace and swing, often providing crucial breakthroughs.
In ODIs, his ability to control the flow of runs and take wickets in the middle overs has been vital. In T20s, including the IPL, his speed and accuracy in the powerplay and death overs have been his strengths.
Cricket Records of Umesh Yadav
His career, spanning from 2010 to 2023, is marked by several notable records and achievements. Here’s a detailed look at some of his significant records:
- Highest Strike Rate in an Innings: Umesh Yadav holds the record for the highest strike rate in a Test innings, achieving a rate of 310.00. This record highlights his ability to score quickly and efficiently when needed.
- Economy Rate: He ranks 11th for the best economy rate in a Test innings, with a rate of 0.42. This demonstrates his effectiveness in controlling the run flow during a match. Conversely, he also holds the 44th position for the worst career economy rate in Tests, at 3.51.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- Economy Rate: In ODIs, Yadav has the 15th worst career economy rate, standing at 6.01. This statistic reflects the challenges faced in the limited-overs format, where bowlers often have to deal with aggressive batting.
- Bowling Hauls: He is ranked 18th for the most consecutive four-wickets-in-an-innings, with 2 such instances. This record underscores his ability to take multiple wickets in a single innings consistently.
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- Batting: In T20Is, Yadav is placed 38th for the most runs in an innings by batting position, with his highest being 20*.
- Individual Player Records: He is 18th on the list for most consecutive matches missed for a team between appearances, with a total of 65 matches. Additionally, he holds the 44th position for the longest intervals between appearances, spanning 5 years and 326 days.
Umesh Yadav: A Glimpse into the Cricketer’s Family Life
Umesh Yadav, a renowned name in Indian cricket, has a family background that blends modesty with the richness of close-knit relationships. Here’s a detailed look into his family life:
Umesh’s father, Tilak Yadav, worked in coal mines in Khaperkheda, Nagpur. His hard work and dedication provided for the family and set a strong example for Umesh.
His mother, Late Kishori Devi, passed away in 2011 due to diabetes. The family faced financial challenges, especially concerning her expensive treatment.
Umesh Yadav is married to Tanya Wadhwa. The couple tied the knot on May 29, 2013, and have since been a pillar of support for each other.
Early Life and Struggles
Umesh initially aspired to join the Indian Army but faced rejection. He also missed out on a police constable’s job by a narrow margin.
Turning to cricket, he played local tournaments and earned a chance to play for Vidarbha Gymkhana, marking the beginning of his cricketing journey.
Despite his cricketing commitments, Umesh wanted to graduate in commerce but couldn’t find the time to pursue it.
Pritam Ghande, the captain of the Vidarbha cricket team, played a crucial role in Umesh’s early career, helping him play for Air India.
Personal Net Worth Report of Umesh Yadav
Umesh Yadav, a prominent figure in Indian cricket, has not only made a name for himself on the field but also amassed significant wealth through his cricketing career. Here’s a comprehensive look at his net worth, earnings, and financial assets:
Net Worth and Earnings
- Estimated Net Worth: Umesh Yadav’s net worth is estimated to be around $10 million (approximately ₹83 Crore INR) as of 2023.
- Primary Income Sources: His earnings primarily come from his cricketing career, including international and domestic matches, and the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- IPL Salary: Umesh Yadav was bought by the Gujarat Titans in the IPL auction for Rs 5.8 crore. His IPL salaries have varied over the years, ranging from ₹10 lakh to ₹4.2 crore, depending on the team he played for.
Brand Endorsements and Investments
- Brand Endorsements: Yadav earns a substantial amount from endorsing brands. He has been associated with companies like GoodGamer, Manyavar, Nagpur’s Swachhata mission, and the Reserve Bank of India.
- Real Estate Investments: He owns a luxury designer house in Nagpur, Maharashtra, and has invested in multiple real-estate properties across India.
Assets and Lifestyle
Yadav’s car collection includes luxury vehicles like the Audi Q3. His lifestyle reflects his financial success, with investments in luxury items and properties.
4 Controversies Involving Umesh Yadav
Umesh Yadav, the Indian cricketer, has been involved in a few controversies over the years. Here’s a detailed look at these incidents, arranged from the most recent:
1. Duped by Friend (2023)
Umesh Yadav was duped of Rs 44 lakhs by his friend-turned-manager Shailesh Thakre. Yadav had entrusted Thakre with managing his finances, properties, and accounts in 2014.
He transferred Rs 44 lakhs to Thakre’s account for purchasing a property, which Thakre then allegedly bought in his own name. Yadav lodged an FIR against Thakre for criminal breach of trust and cheating.
2. IPL No-Ball Controversy (2019)
During an IPL match between RCB and SRH, umpire Nigel Llong incorrectly called a no-ball off Umesh Yadav’s penultimate ball.
Television replays showed that Yadav’s back leg had landed behind the line, but the umpire saw it differently, leading to frustration from Yadav and RCB captain Virat Kohli. The incident added to the ongoing discussions about umpiring standards in the IPL.
3. Controversial Catch Against Joe Root (2016)
Yadav caught and then inadvertently dropped the ball while celebrating, leading to a review. The TV umpire eventually ruled the catch as good.
Root expressed disappointment over his dismissal but was more upset with his shot selection.
4. Wife’s Altercation with Auto-Rickshaw Drivers (2015)
Umesh Yadav’s wife was involved in a physical altercation with auto-rickshaw drivers and a video-journalist.
The incident occurred after a minor traffic collision. Yadav’s wife, her mother, and another person allegedly assaulted an auto-rickshaw driver and damaged a journalist’s camera.
The police intervened, and although no case was registered, the incident raised concerns about the treatment of journalists to Umesh Yadav’s wife.
Anything You Need to Know about Umesh Yadav
Which is the village of Umesh Yadav?
Umesh Yadav’s family roots lie in Pokarbhinda village, which is located in the Padrauna district of Uttar Pradesh, India. However, he wasn’t born there. His family moved to Nagpur when he was young, and that’s where he grew up and learned cricket.
What is the name of Umesh Yadav's wife?
Umesh Yadav is married to Tanya Wadhwa, a fashion designer from Delhi. They got married in 2013 and have a beautiful family together.
How much was Umesh Yadav sold for?
Umesh Yadav was bought by Gujarat Titans for 5,8 crore in IPL 2024 auction.
How many children does Umesh Yadav have?
Umesh Yadav and Tanya Wadhwa have two daughters. Their first daughter was born in January 2021, and their second daughter arrived in March 2023.