Tamim Iqbal, is one of the most feared opening batsman from Bangladesh national cricket team, and a controversial figure in International cricket.
Summary & Key TakeawaysShow
Tamim Iqbal: The Story of Bangladesh’s Most Controversial Player
Tamim Iqbal, a name synonymous with Bangladesh cricket, has carved out a remarkable career that stands as a proof to his skill, determination, and passion for the game.
Born on March 20, 1989, in Chittagong, Bangladesh, Tamim emerged as a prodigious talent, quickly ascending the ranks to become one of the most formidable opening batsmen in international cricket.
His journey from a young, aggressive player to a seasoned veteran and leader on the field encapsulates a saga of hard work, resilience, and an unyielding love for cricket.
Tamim’s cricketing journey began in the under-19 circuit, where he represented Bangladesh in the 2006 U-19 Cricket World Cup in Sri Lanka.
His talent was unmistakable, and he soon made his ODI debut in 2007 against Zimbabwe. The following year, he played his first Test match, marking the beginning of what would be an illustrious Test career.
Tamim has been a stalwart in domestic cricket, particularly for the Chittagong Division cricket team.
His domestic career also saw him venture into county cricket in England, where he played for Nottinghamshire in 2011 as a short-term replacement.
Despite facing challenges and pressure, both from the foreign conditions and the media back home, Tamim’s stint in county cricket was a valuable part of his development as a player.
Tamim’s international career is marked by several milestones and memorable performances.
He became the first Bangladeshi to score 50 ODI half-centuries in March 2021 and has been a consistent top performer in ODIs and Tests.
His aggressive batting style and ability to take on any bowling attack have been crucial in many of Bangladesh’s historic victories.
Tamim Iqbal, renowned for his prowess in international cricket, also has an impressive record in franchise cricket. In T20 leagues, he has amassed nearly 7,000 runs, maintaining an average above 32.
His county cricket stint in England began in 2011 with Nottinghamshire, where he played five matches, scoring 104 runs with a high score of 47.
Later, he was selected for Essex in the NatWest T20 blast but left the tournament due to personal reasons. Tamim Iqbal’s franchise cricket career spans various teams and leagues.
He also played in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) for St. Lucia Zouks, and in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), he has been a key player for teams like Chittagong Vikings and Dhaka Dynamites.
His performances in these leagues have been notable, contributing significantly to his teams’ successes.
Career Across Formats
- Test Cricket: Tamim’s Test career is highlighted by his ability to play long, patient innings. His highest Test score of 206 is a testament to his endurance and skill in the longest format of the game.
- ODI Cricket: In ODIs, Tamim has been a prolific run-scorer for Bangladesh. His aggressive opening style and ability to build innings have been vital in setting up many wins for his team.
- T20 Cricket: In T20s, Tamim’s role as an explosive opener has seen him contribute significantly to his teams’ high-scoring innings. His T20 career includes a memorable century in the ICC World Twenty20.
Cricket Records of Tamim Iqbal
Tamim Iqbal, the celebrated opening batsman for Bangladesh, has etched his name in the annals of cricket with a series of remarkable achievements.
His career, spanning from 2007 to 2023, is adorned with records that highlight his prowess and consistency across all formats of the game. Here’s a detailed look at some of his significant records:
- Hundred and a Duck in a Match: Tamim holds this unique record in Test cricket.
- Most Runs on a Single Ground: He scored 1312 runs at a single ground, showcasing his dominance in familiar conditions.
- Hundreds in Consecutive Matches: Achieved the feat of scoring centuries in three consecutive matches.
- Youngest Player to Score a Hundred: Made his mark by scoring a century at the young age of 20 years and 111 days.
- Fifties in Consecutive Innings: Notched up fifties in five consecutive innings.
- Highest Partnership for the First Wicket: Shared a massive 312-run stand, a testament to his opening prowess.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- 5000 Runs and 50 Fielding Dismissals: A rare combination of batting prowess and fielding skills.
- Highest Partnership for the First Wicket: An impressive 292-run stand, ranking third in ODI history.
- Most Runs on a Single Ground: Amassed 2897 runs, the sixth-highest in ODI history.
- Most Hundreds Against One Team: Scored four centuries against a single opponent.
- Youngest Player to Score a Hundred: Achieved this milestone at 19 years and 2 days.
- Most Fifties in Career: Accumulated a total of 70 fifties.
- Most Ducks in Career: Recorded 19 ducks.
- Most Fours in an Innings: Hit 20 fours in a single ODI innings.
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- Most Runs in Career: Scored a total of 1758 runs.
- Most Runs in a Match on the Losing Side: Scored 88* in a T20I match.
- Most Fours in Career: Hit 188 fours in T20Is.
Combined Test, ODI, and T20I Records:
- Most Runs in Career: Scored a total of 15249 runs across all formats.
- Most Runs on a Single Ground: Dominated with 4529 runs at a single venue.
- Most Fifties in Career: Amassed 119 fifties in total.
- Most Ducks in Career: Recorded 36 ducks across formats.
- Most Sixes in Career: Hit 189 sixes.
- Most Fours in Career: Scored 1768 fours.
- Most Consecutive Matches for a Team: Played 92 consecutive matches.
- Most Player-of-the-Series Awards: Won this accolade 7 times.
Tamim Iqbal: Family Background of Bangladesh Super Star
Tamim Iqbal, a renowned name in the world of cricket, hails from a family deeply rooted in the sport.
His journey, marked by significant achievements, is not just a tale of personal success but also a reflection of his family’s influence and support. Here’s a comprehensive look at Tamim Iqbal’s family background:
Parents and Early Influence
- Father: Iqbal Khan
- Mother: Nusrat Iqbal
Tamim was born into a family where cricket was more than just a game. His father, Iqbal Khan, and mother, Nusrat Iqbal, played pivotal roles in nurturing his passion for cricket from a young age. The family’s residence in Chittagong, a city with a rich cricketing culture, further fueled his aspirations.
Siblings and Cricketing Heritage
- Brother: Nafees Iqbal
- Uncle: Akram Khan
Cricket runs in Tamim’s veins, with his brother Nafees Iqbal and uncle Akram Khan both representing Bangladesh in Test cricket. Nafees, in particular, has been a significant influence, often regarded as a talented cricketer himself. This cricketing lineage provided Tamim with an environment conducive to honing his skills and a path to follow.
Personal Life and Marriage
- Wife: Ayesha Siddiqa
- Children: Mohammed Arham Iqbal (son, born February 2016) and Alishba Iqbal Khan (daughter)
Tamim’s personal life saw him tying the knot with Ayesha Siddiqa in June 2013. The couple’s wedding, a grand affair in Chittagong, was graced by notable personalities, including former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia.
Their family life was blessed with the arrival of their son, Mohammed Arham Iqbal, in February 2016, and later, their daughter, Alishba Iqbal Khan.
Tamim Iqbal’s Net Worth: A Comprehensive Overview
Tamim Iqbal, a prominent figure in the world of cricket, has not only made a name for himself through his sporting prowess but also amassed significant wealth over the years.
This article going beyond into the financial aspects of Tamim Iqbal’s life, including his net worth, earnings, endorsements, and assets.
Net Worth and Earnings
- Net Worth (2022): Estimated between $2 Million and $3.5 Million.
- Salary: Ranges from $200K to $1.5 Million annually.
- Previous Year’s Net Worth: Estimated between $2 Million and $2.5 Million.
- Monthly Income as a Cricketer: Approximately 4,00,000 Taka.
- Central Contract with BCB: Base salary of $57,000.
- Match Fees: Test Fee $7,100; ODI Fee $3,600; T20I Fee $2,400.
- Bangladesh Premier League Participation: Additional income from domestic cricket leagues.
Endorsements and Brand Associations
Tamim Iqbal has leveraged his cricketing fame to secure lucrative endorsement deals. He serves as a brand ambassador for several companies, including Crown Cement, Fresh, MICFL, Haojue, GP, Matador, and Gold mark. These endorsements contribute significantly to his overall earnings.
6 Controversies Involving Tamim Iqbal
Tamim Iqbal, a prominent figure in Bangladesh cricket, has been involved in several controversies over the years. Here’s a comprehensive look at these incidents, arranged from the most recent:
1. Bangladesh World Cup 2023 Selection Controversy (2023)
A significant controversy erupted when Tamim Iqbal was not picked for the Bangladesh squad in the ICC Men’s ODI World Cup 2023.
Reports suggested that Tamim wanted to play selectively in the World Cup due to a back injury, which did not sit well with captain Shakib Al Hasan.
Tamim later claimed he was asked to bat down the order, leading to a heated exchange between him and the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB). Shakib criticized Tamim’s commitment, calling his behavior childish.
2. NOC Controversy (2015)
During a Bangladesh Premier League match, Tamim Iqbal, captain of Chittagong Vikings, was involved in a controversy with Sylhet Superstars’ captain Mushfiqur Rahim.
The issue was related to the participation of players without proper No-Objection Certificates (NOCs), leading to a delayed start and a heated exchange.
3. Controversial Caught & Bowled Decision (2021)
In a match against New Zealand, Tamim was involved in a controversial incident where he narrowly escaped a caught and bowled decision.
The third umpire overruled the on-field decision, leading to a debate among cricket experts and fans.
4. Shoulder Barging Incident with Ben Stokes (2016)
Tamim was involved in a shoulder barging fight with England’s Ben Stokes during an ODI. The incident occurred during the post-match handshakes, leading to a heated exchange between the two players.
5. Heated Argument with Umpire (2017)
6. Bangladesh Premier League Spat
Tamim Iqbal and the chairman of Sylhet Superstars, Azizul Islam, were involved in a heated argument during a Bangladesh Premier League game. The BCB later decided to penalize both parties for their conduct.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What was Tamim Iqbal's performance in the World Cup 2011?
While not his most spectacular performance, Tamim Iqbal still showed glimpses of his talent in the 2011 World Cup. He played in 8 matches, scoring a total of 303 runs with an average of 24.76. His highest score was 70, which came against India in the group stage. Although he didn’t score any centuries, his contributions helped Bangladesh secure some crucial wins, including their historic victory over England.
How many sixes did Tamim Iqbal have in total?
Tamim Iqbal has smashed a total of 162 sixes across all formats of international cricket as of December 2023. He is known for his powerful hitting, especially on the off-side, and his sixes are a treat for fans to watch.
Is Tamim playing in the World Cup?
Unfortunately, Tamim Iqbal is not playing in the ongoing ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023. He opted out of the tournament due to personal reasons. This was a major blow for the Bangladesh team, as Tamim is their most experienced and successful batsman.
When did Tamim Iqbal get married?
Tamim Iqbal tied the knot with his longtime partner, Afroza Sultana, on December 18, 2014, in a grand ceremony in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The couple has two children together, a daughter named Ayra and a son named Zayyan.
How many run Tamim scored in ODI?
Tamim Iqbal is a prolific run-scorer in ODI cricket. As of December 2023, he has amassed a total of 8503 runs in 245 matches, with an average of 34.87. He has scored 9 centuries and 53 half-centuries in this format.
How many centuries did Tamim Iqbal have?
Across all formats of international cricket, Tamim Iqbal has scored 14 centuries as of December 2023. He has 9 centuries in ODIs, 4 in Tests, and 1 in T20Is.
Is Tamim Iqbal retired from ODI?
Tamim Iqbal is not retired from ODI cricket. He is still an active player in this format and is expected to return to the Bangladesh team after the World Cup.
Why did Tamim Iqbal retire?
In 2022, Tamim Iqbal announced his retirement from T20I cricket. He cited workload management and a desire to focus on other formats as the reasons for his decision. He wants to prolong his career in Tests and ODIs, where he believes he can still contribute significantly to the Bangladesh team.