Born on a sun-drenched Jamaican day, Stafanie Roxann Taylor burst onto the international cricket scene in 2008.
At just 17, she dazzled with her debut, announcing her arrival with a powerful 90-run knock in a T20 match.
Taylor, a right-handed batter with a talent for off-spin bowling, soon became a cornerstone of the West Indies women’s team.
Her bat and ball spoke volumes, leading her to become the 2011 ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year, a first for a West Indian.
Additionally, she etched her name in history as the first West Indian woman to surpass 1,000 ODI runs.
Taylor’s club career is equally impressive, spanning teams from Jamaica to Guyana Amazon Warriors, and even international stints in Auckland, Sydney, and beyond.
- International Cricket Stardom: Taylor has been a leading figure in women's cricket since her international debut in 2008.
- Record-Setting Performances: She was the first West Indian woman to surpass 1,000 ODI runs.
- Multiple Awards Winner: Taylor clinched numerous awards, including the ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year in 2011.
- Versatile Talent: Known for her right-handed batting and off-spin bowling.
- Global Recognition: Played for clubs in Jamaica, Guyana, Auckland, Sydney, and more.
- National Honors: Received the Order of Distinction in Jamaica in 2017.
- Legacy in Jamaica: The cricket ground at Eltham High School was renamed in her honor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are some of Stafanie Taylor's major achievements in international cricket?
Stafanie Taylor has an impressive list of achievements. She won the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year in 2011, ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year in 2012, and ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Year in 2015. Additionally, she was the first West Indian woman to score over 1,000 ODI runs.
How did Stafanie Taylor's cricket career begin?
Taylor’s cricket journey started in Spanish Town, Jamaica. She developed an interest in cricket at about eight years old and joined her first cricket tour at ten. Her international debut was marked by a spectacular 90-run knock in a T20 match against Ireland in 2008.
What recognition has Stafanie Taylor received in Jamaica for her cricketing success?
Stafanie Taylor’s cricketing success has been widely recognized in Jamaica. In 2016, the cricket ground at Eltham High School was renamed the Stafanie Taylor Oval in her honor. Additionally, she was awarded the Order of Distinction at the Jamaican National Awards Ceremony on National Heroes’ Day in 2017.