Summary and Key TakeawaysShow
Mitchell Starc: The Best Fast Bowler in Australia Cricket History
Mitchell Aaron Starc, born on January 30, 1990, in Baulkham Hills, New South Wales, Australia, has emerged as a formidable force in international cricket.
Known for his pace and ability to swing the ball, he has become one of the most feared bowlers in modern cricket.
His journey from a young talent to a cricketing superstar is a story of resilience, skill, and consistent performance.
Starc’s cricketing journey began at the age of 9 with Northern Districts as a wicket keeper. He played for the Northern Districts Cricket Association and attended Homebush Boys High School.
Starc’s early domestic career was marked by a rookie contract with New South Wales for the 2008/09 summer. His first-class debut came in March 2009 against Western Australia.
Despite New South Wales finishing at the bottom of the ladder that season, Mitchell Starc’s potential was evident.
Starc’s domestic career has been primarily with New South Wales, where he started in the 2008/09 season. He also played for Sydney Sixers in the Big Bash League and had stints with Yorkshire in County Cricket.
His performances in domestic cricket laid the foundation for his international debut and showcased his ability to perform consistently across different conditions.
Starc’s international career has been marked by several highlights, including being a key member of Australia’s 2015 and 2023 Cricket World Cup-winning teams.
He holds the record for the fastest bowler to reach 150 and 200 wickets in ODI cricket. Starc’s ability to perform in critical moments, particularly in World Cups, has cemented his reputation as a world-class bowler.
Starc’s IPL career, though not as extensive as his international career, has been notable. He played for Royal Challengers Bangalore from 2014 to 2015.
In 2024, Starc made headlines by becoming the most expensive player in IPL history, signed by Kolkata Knight Riders for a record ₹24.75 crore. This record-breaking auction highlighted his value in the T20 format.
Career Across Formats
- Test Cricket: Starc’s Test career has been impressive, with significant contributions in terms of wickets and crucial lower-order batting. His ability to swing the ball and generate pace has been pivotal in Australia’s Test successes.
- ODI Cricket: In ODIs, Starc has been a standout performer, especially in World Cups. His record-breaking haul in the 2015 and 2019 World Cups underlines his dominance in this format.
- T20 Cricket: While Starc’s T20 international career has been more sporadic, his impact in the matches he has played is undeniable. His pace and skill in bowling at the death make him a valuable asset in the shortest format of the game.
Cricket Records of Mitchell Starc
Mitchell Starc, an exceptional bowler for the Australian cricket team, has made significant strides in international cricket since his debut in 2010.
His career, extending up to 2024, is marked by numerous records in Test matches, One-Day Internationals (ODIs), and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is). Here’s an in-depth look at some of his remarkable achievements:
- 1000 runs and 100 wickets: A rare all-round achievement.
- 5th highest runs without a hundred: Amassed 2011 runs.
- Best figures in a match on the losing side: 11 wickets.
- Most five-wickets-in-an-innings: Achieved this feat 14 times.
- Fastest to 200 wickets: In just 50 matches.
- Most wickets taken bowled: 86 dismissals.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- Fastest to various wickets milestones: Including the fastest to 200 wickets in just 102 matches.
- Best figures in an innings on the losing side: 6 wickets.
- Most consecutive five-wickets-in-an-innings: Achieved twice.
- Best career strike rate: 26.4.
- Most wickets taken bowled: 88 wickets.
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- 2nd most wickets taken hit wicket: A unique record with 1 dismissal.
- No ducks in career: Over 19 matches.
- Most wickets taken bowled: 29 wickets.
Other Notable Records:
- Combined Test, ODI, and T20I records: Starc has taken a total of 654 wickets across all formats.
- Most runs in a career without a hundred: Scored 2676 runs.
- Most balls bowled in career: Delivered 24296 balls.
- Most wickets taken caught: 367 dismissals.
Mitchell Starc’s Family Background
Mitchell Starc, a renowned Australian cricketer, comes from a family deeply rooted in sports. His journey, marked by significant achievements in cricket, is supported and influenced by his family members.
Parents, Siblings, and Relatives
Paul Starc played a crucial role in Mitchell’s early sports career, serving as his first coach. Tragically, Mitchell lost his father to cancer in 2021.
Mitchell has a younger brother, Brandon Starc, an accomplished high-jumper who has competed in the Olympics and won a Gold Medal in the 2018 Commonwealth Games. He also has two younger siblings, Amanda and Tay Starc.
Mitchell Starc is related to Australian cricket great Ian Healy, who is his wife Alyssa Healy’s uncle. Ian Healy has been known to publicly comment on Starc’s performance, highlighting the close connections within this cricketing family.
Marriage and Relatives
Mitchell Starc is married to Alyssa Healy, a fellow Australian cricketer. They got engaged in 2015 and married on 15 April 2016.
Their relationship is notable as they are only the third married couple to both participate in Test cricket. They first met as children at the age of 9, both serving as wicketkeepers for Northern Districts.
Net Worth’s Report of Mitchell Starc
Mitchell Starc, the Australian left-arm fast bowler, is not just a cricketing sensation but also a financial powerhouse.
His journey from a promising talent in New South Wales to becoming one of the most sought-after cricketers globally is as much a tale of sporting triumph as it is of financial success.
Net Worth and Earnings
- Estimated Net Worth: As of 2023, Mitchell Starc’s net worth is estimated to be around USD 25 million (approximately INR 208 crore). This wealth is attributed to his earnings from professional cricket, IPL contracts, endorsement deals, and personal investments.
- IPL Salary: Starc’s entry into the Indian Premier League (IPL) marked a new, lucrative chapter in his career. In 2024, he set a record by being picked up by Kolkata Knight Riders for a whopping INR 24.75 crore (around USD 2.97 million) annually. This contract significantly boosted his net worth.
- Cricket Australia Salary: Apart from the IPL, Starc earns around USD 1.4 million (approximately INR 12 crore) per year from his contract with Cricket Australia.
Assets and Lifestyle
Starc owns five different houses on Sydney’s northern beaches. His primary residence is a luxury designer house in Baulkham Hills, New South Wales. He also owns a luxury mansion in Terrey Hills, known as Charlotte Park, worth USD 25 million.
Starc is known for his love for automobiles, owning several luxury cars, including a Lamborghini Huracan Spyder RWD, a Jaguar F-Type, and a Mercedes-Benz G-class.
Endorsements and Investments
Starc has endorsement deals with top brands like Audi, Kookaburra (an Australian cricket equipment manufacturer), and Raydel (an Australian healthcare brand).
Mitchell Starc’s Controversies in Cricket
Mitchell Starc, a prominent figure in Australian cricket, has been involved in several controversies.
These incidents not only reflect on Starc’s approach to the game but also shed light on the evolving nature of cricket’s rules and the ethical considerations within the sport.
1. The ‘Mankad’ Debate at the Cricket World Cup (2023)
During the Cricket World Cup, Mitchell Starc was involved in a controversial moment against Sri Lanka.
In the first over of the match, Starc stopped his bowling action to warn Sri Lankan batter Kusal Perera about leaving the crease too early, a move known as ‘Mankad’.
His decision to warn Perera instead of directly running him out divided opinions in the cricket community.
Some praised his sportsmanship, while others argued he should have executed the dismissal without warning, as it is within the rules of the game.
2. The Ashes Test – Catch Controversy Involving Ben Duckett
3. Semi-Final Pitch-Switch Controversy Against India (2023)
In the semi-final of the 2023 World Cup, Starc took a cheeky dig at India over a pitch-switch controversy.
The controversy arose when a used pitch was employed for the semi-final game against New Zealand instead of a fresh track.
It was alleged that the hosts, India, made this change without consulting the ICC pitch curator. Starc humorously commented on this situation, hinting at the possibility of India playing on a used track again in the final.
This incident highlighted the tactical nuances and mind games often present in high-stakes cricket matches.
4. The Mankad Debate Involving Theunis de Bruyn (2022)
He threatened to dismiss South Africa’s Theunis de Bruyn for leaving his crease early but ultimately chose not to.
This incident brought the Mankad dismissal, a legal but often debated act in cricket, back into the spotlight.
Starc’s decision not to run out de Bruyn, despite the batsman being well out of his crease, was a significant moment in the ongoing discussion about sportsmanship and the rules of cricket.
5. South Africa’s Ball-Tampering Scandal (2018)
Mitchell Starc was indirectly involved in the infamous ball-tampering scandal that rocked Australian cricket.
The controversy unfolded during the third Test in South Africa, where Cameron Bancroft was caught using sandpaper to tamper with the ball.
Although Starc was not directly involved in the planning or execution of the tampering, he expressed frustration and anger over being associated with the scandal.
This was particularly due to then-captain Steven Smith’s press conference, where he implied that the team’s leadership group, which included Starc, was behind the tactic.
Mitchell Starc, along with other bowlers like Josh Hazlewood and Nathan Lyon, firmly denied any knowledge of the plot. The incident led to significant repercussions within the team and Australian cricket at large.
Anything You Need to Know about Mitchell Starc
Why Mitchell Starc was not playing IPL 2023:
- Starc prioritized national team commitments for Australia, opting to focus on Test cricket and the ODI World Cup.
- He expressed a desire to manage his workload and avoid burnout.
- He hasn’t played in the IPL since 2018 due to various reasons like injuries and national team priorities.
How fast is Mitchell Starc?
Starc is known for his raw pace, regularly clocking deliveries around 145-150 kph. He has even touched speeds of 160 kph on occasion, making him one of the fastest bowlers in the world.
Is Starc a left-handed bowler?
Yes, Starc is a left-arm fast bowler, adding another dimension to his bowling attack and making him a valuable asset to any team.
Is Starc out of IPL?
No, not at all! Starc is very much in the IPL, having been picked up by the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the 2024 auction for a record sum of 14.5 crore INR. He’s set to be a key player for them in the upcoming season.
Is Starc retired?
No, Starc is not retired. He is still actively playing for Australia across formats and is considered a crucial part of their bowling attack.
Is Mitchell Starc retiring?
Starc has not officially announced any retirement plans. He is focusing on the upcoming season with KKR and remains committed to international cricket.
Who is Starc married to?
Starc is married to Alyssa Healy, an Australian wicket-keeper batsman and one of the most successful players in women’s cricket. They are considered one of the power couples in the cricketing world.
Is Mitchell Starc a wicket-keeper?
No, Starc is not a wicket-keeper. He is primarily a fast bowler, although he can occasionally chip in with useful contributions with the bat.
Did KKR buy Starc?
Yes, as mentioned earlier, KKR did buy Starc in the 2024 auction for a record sum, highlighting their faith in his abilities and potential impact on their team.
Will Mitchell Starc play 2024 IPL?
Yes! Starc is confirmed to be playing in the 2024 IPL for the Kolkata Knight Riders. He is expected to be a key figure in their bowling attack and a major attraction for fans.
When did Starc play his last IPL?
Starc’s last IPL appearance was in the 2018 season when he played for the Kolkata Knight Riders. He missed the subsequent seasons due to injuries and national team commitments.