Summary & Key TakeawaysShow
Martin Guptill: The Kiwi’s Formidable Opening Batter
Martin James Guptill, born on September 30, 1986, in Auckland, New Zealand, has carved a niche for himself as a formidable opening batsman in the world of cricket.
Known for his right-handed batting prowess and occasional right-arm off-break bowling, Guptill’s career spans various formats and leagues, making him a versatile and impactful player.
His journey from a tragic forklift accident at 14, which led to the loss of three toes, to becoming a cricketing sensation is a tale of resilience and determination.
Guptill’s cricketing journey began in the under-19 arena, representing New Zealand in the 2006 Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Sri Lanka.
His domestic career took off with Auckland, where he made an immediate impact by scoring 99 in his debut match.
He topped the batting charts in the 2007-08 season and continued his form in the Emerging Players Tournament in Australia.
In domestic cricket, Guptill has been a consistent performer for Auckland. His first-class debut in March 2006 was a mixed bag, with a four-ball duck in his first innings and a near-century in his second.
He also played for Derbyshire and Lancashire in English county cricket, showcasing his adaptability to different playing conditions.
His Test debut followed against India in March 2009. Although his Test career didn’t soar as high as his limited-overs exploits, he made significant contributions, including a top score of 189.
In ODIs, Guptill has been a standout performer, holding records for the highest individual score in World Cup matches (237*) and the second-highest score in ODIs.
IPL and Other Franchises
In 13 IPL matches, he scored 270 runs, including a half-century. His highest IPL score is an unbeaten 50. He has also played for various teams in the Caribbean Premier League, Pakistan Super League, and Big Bash League, among others.
Career Across Formats
- Test Cricket: Guptill played 47 Test matches, scoring 2,586 runs with an average of 29.38, including three centuries and 17 fifties.
- ODI Cricket: In 198 ODIs, he amassed 7,346 runs at an average of 41.73, with 18 centuries and 39 fifties.
- T20 Internationals: Guptill shone in T20Is, scoring 3,531 runs in 122 matches at an average of 31.81, including two centuries and 20 fifties.
Cricket Records of Martin Guptill
Martin Guptill, a prominent figure in New Zealand cricket, has established a remarkable record in international cricket.
His career, spanning from 2009 to 2022, is adorned with numerous records across Test matches, One-Day Internationals (ODIs), and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is). Here’s a detailed look at some of his significant records:
- Achieved the sixth-highest partnership for the sixth wicket in Test matches, amassing 339 runs.
- Recorded a hundred and a duck in a match, showcasing the highs and lows of his Test career.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- Scored a hundred on debut with a remarkable 122*.
- Holds the second-highest individual score in ODIs with an unbeaten 237*.
- Achieved the second-fastest to 7000 runs in ODIs, reaching the milestone in just 186 innings.
- Recorded the second-most catches in an innings in ODIs with 4 catches.
- Amassed 5000 runs and 50 fielding dismissals in ODIs.
- Notched up the second-most runs from fours and sixes in an innings with 162 runs.
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- Ranks third for the most runs in a T20I career with a total of 3531 runs.
- Holds the seventh position for the most hundreds in a T20I career with 2 hundreds.
- Achieved fifties in consecutive innings on three occasions.
- Recorded the second-most sixes in a T20I career with 173 sixes.
- Became the second-fastest to score 3500 runs in T20Is.
- Made the second-most catches in a T20I career with 68 catches.
- Holds the fifth-highest partnership for the third wicket in T20Is with 137 runs.
Other Notable Records:
- In combined Test, ODI, and T20I records, Guptill ranks fifth for the most sixes in a career with 383 sixes.
- He is 22nd for the most catches in a career across formats with 222 catches.
- Guptill has achieved the 22nd-most player-of-the-match awards in his career with 34 awards.
- In ODIs, he is 20th for the most hundreds in a career with 18 hundreds and 38th for the most fifties in a career with 57 fifties.
- In T20Is, he is fifth for the most matches in a career with 122 matches and 13th for the most player-of-the-match awards with 10 awards.
Family and Personal Story of Martin Guptill
Martin James Guptill, a renowned New Zealand international cricketer, has not only made a name for himself on the cricket field but also has a rich family background that has shaped his personal and professional life.
Early Life and Childhood
Born on September 30, 1986, in Auckland, New Zealand, Martin Guptill’s childhood was marked by a significant incident.
At the age of 13, he was involved in a forklift accident, which resulted in the loss of three toes on his left foot.
This incident earned him the nickname “Two Toes” within the New Zealand cricket team. Despite this early setback, Guptill showed remarkable resilience and determination, which later translated into his cricketing career.
Martin Guptill was born to Peter Guptill, a truck driver, and Jan Henderson. His parents played a crucial role in his early life, providing him with the support and encouragement needed to pursue his cricketing dreams.
He has a sister named Raewyn Thomas, who has been a part of his personal support system. Adding to his cricketing lineage, Martin’s cousin, Michael Guptill-Bunc, has also played cricket for Auckland, indicating a strong cricketing influence in his family.
Guptill’s educational journey began at Kelston Primary School and Kelston Boys’ High School. He later transferred to Avondale College in Auckland, where he honed his cricket skills and laid the foundation for his future cricketing endeavors.
Martin Guptill is married to Laura McGoldrick, a multi-talented individual who is an actress, radio personality, news anchor, and sports reporter.
Their relationship began when Laura interviewed Guptill for The Cricket Show at the age of 19. Their friendship blossomed into a romantic relationship, leading to their marriage in September 2014.
The couple has been blessed with two children. Their firstborn, Harley Louise Guptill, was born on October 4th, 2017, and their son, Theodore James Guptill, was born on February 15th, 2021.
Net Worth Report of Martin Guptill
Martin Guptill, a celebrated cricketer from New Zealand, has not only made a significant impact on the field but also in terms of his financial achievements.
Here’s a comprehensive look at Martin Guptill’s net worth, including his earnings, endorsements, assets, and other financial details.
Net Worth and Salary
- Estimated Net Worth: Martin Guptill’s net worth is estimated to be around $19.3 million to $20 million as of 2023. This impressive figure is a testament to his successful cricketing career and various endorsements.
- Salary: Guptill earns approximately $94,100 USD per month from the New Zealand Cricket team. His salary and brand endorsement deals are his major sources of earnings.
- IPL Salary: In the Indian Premier League (IPL), Guptill has played for teams like Mumbai Indians and Sunrisers Hyderabad. He was signed by Sunrisers Hyderabad for INR 1 crore. His IPL earnings have contributed significantly to his overall net worth.
Brand Endorsements and Franchise Fee
- Brand Endorsements: Guptill has endorsement deals with several brands, including Adidas, NZ Cricket, and Smart Energy. These endorsements add a substantial amount to his income.
- Franchise Fee: In leagues like the Lanka Premier League (LPL), Guptill reportedly earns around USD 100,000 per season. His participation in various T20 leagues around the world, including the IPL, CPL (Caribbean Premier League), and PSL (Pakistan Super League), has bolstered his financial status.
Assets and Lifestyle
Guptill owns a collection of luxury cars, including an Audi and a Mercedes SUV, reflecting his affluent lifestyle.
He owns a luxurious home in Auckland, New Zealand. The value of this property, though not explicitly known, adds to his substantial net worth.
4 Controversy Involving Martin Guptill
Martin Guptill, a prominent figure in New Zealand cricket, has been involved in several controversial moments throughout his career. Here’s a comprehensive look at these incidents, arranged from the most recent:
1. Death Threat Prior to Pakistan Tour (2021)
In 2021, ahead of New Zealand’s tour of Pakistan, Martin Guptill’s wife, broadcaster Laura McGoldrick, received an emailed death threat aimed at Guptill.
The threat was deemed not credible and unrelated to the security threat that led to the abandonment of the tour.
Guptill and his wife reported the threat to the appropriate authorities, and it was handled accordingly. Guptill remained unfazed by the incident.
2. Final World Cup 2019 Overthrow Controversy (2019)
During the 2019 World Cup final between England and New Zealand, a throw from Guptill deflected off Ben Stokes’ bat and went to the boundary, leading to six runs being awarded to England instead of five.
The incident sparked a significant controversy, with umpire Kumar Dharmasena admitting to a judgment error.
The match went to a Super Over, and England was declared the winner based on the boundary count, leaving New Zealand in disbelief.
3. MS Dhoni’s Run-out in the 2019 World Cup Semi-final (2019)
In the 2019 World Cup semi-final against India, MS Dhoni was run out by a direct throw from Guptill.
Despite the controversy, Dhoni’s run-out was deemed legal as a batsman can be run out off a no-ball. New Zealand won the match and advanced to the final.
4. Embarrassing World Cup History with Rare Dismissal (2019)
In a 2019 World Cup match against South Africa, Guptill became the first New Zealand to be dismissed by hitting his own wicket in a World Cup tournament.
Anything You Need to Know about Martin Guptill
How many sixes did Martin Guptill have in total?
As of today, December 28, 2023, Martin Guptill has smashed a total of 327 sixes across all formats of international cricket. This includes:
- 103 sixes in Test matches
- 187 sixes in ODIs
- 173 sixes in T20Is
Is Martin Guptill a good batsman?
Absolutely! Martin Guptill is a highly skilled and respected batsman, known for his:
- Explosive batting: He possesses a powerful stroke-making ability and can clear the boundaries with ease, making him a dangerous threat to any bowling attack.
- Consistency: He has a proven track record of scoring runs across all formats and has been a consistent performer for New Zealand for over a decade.
- Experience: He is a veteran of international cricket and has played in numerous major tournaments, including the World Cup, where he has performed exceptionally well.
How many double centuries does Martin Guptill have?
Martin Guptill has scored two double centuries in his international career, both coming in ODI matches:
- 237 against West Indies in 2015
- 227 against Sri Lanka in 2015
These knocks showcase his ability to build big innings and bat through an entire innings, demonstrating his versatility as a batsman.
Has Martin Guptill retired?
No, Martin Guptill has not retired from any format of international cricket. While he was not selected for the 2023 World Cup due to injury concerns, he remains a valuable player for New Zealand and is expected to make a comeback in the future. He is currently playing domestic cricket and looking to regain his form and fitness.