Started with young Queensland’s team, Marnus Labuschagne becoming one of the greatest Test player in cricket history. In this article, we are going beyond stats, records, net worth, and controversy of this Australia cricket star.
Summary & Key TakeawaysShow
Marnus Labuschagne: Australian Test Cricket Star
Marnus Labuschagne’s journey in the world of cricket is a remarkable story of seizing opportunities and rising to prominence in the international arena.
Born in Klerksdorp, South Africa, Labuschagne moved to Australia with his family in 2004, where he developed his cricketing skills.
Early Career and Domestic Cricket
Marnus Labuschagne’s journey in cricket began in his native South Africa, where he was born in Klerksdorp, North West Province.
His family moved to Australia in 2004 when he was 10 years old. Growing up speaking Afrikaans, Labuschagne became fluent in English after relocating to Australia.
His cricketing journey took off in school, leading to selections in Queensland’s U-15, U-17, and U-19 sides.
Labuschagne made his first-class debut for Queensland in the 2014-15 Sheffield Shield season at the Adelaide Oval. His debut was notable, scoring 83 in his first innings.
He continued to impress in domestic cricket, becoming the second leading run-scorer in the 2017-18 Sheffield Shield season with 795 runs at an average of 39.75, including two centuries.
In limited-overs cricket, Labuschagne showed his prowess in the 2016-17 Matador BBQs One-Day Cup, scoring 271 runs at an average of 45 and being named Player of the Tournament. He also joined Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League in November 2016.
Labuschagne’s international career began under challenging circumstances. He was a surprise call-up for the 2018 tour of the UAE to face Pakistan as Australia began to rebuild following the ball-tampering crisis.
He seized this opportunity, scoring 59 in his first innings as a substitute and then solidifying his place in the team with consistent performances.
Labuschagne’s home summer against Pakistan and New Zealand was prolific, scoring four centuries in five matches, including a double century at the SCG. By the end of 2019, he had become the leading Test run-scorer in the world.
His fortunes changed in 2023 when he replaced a concussed Cameron Green in an ODI against South Africa, scoring an unbeaten 80 and a subsequent 124 in the next game, leading to his inclusion in Australia’s squad for the 2023 Cricket World Cup.
IPL and Other Franchise Cricket
Labuschagne’s experience in franchise cricket is primarily with the Brisbane Heat in the Big Bash League. He joined the team in 2016 but struggled to secure a regular spot in the playing XI initially.
Career Across Formats (Test, T20, ODI)
Labuschagne’s Test career has been the highlight, with significant runs and a solid position in the Australian batting order.
His ODI debut came in January 2020 against India, and he quickly showed his adaptability to the shorter format. However, his T20 international career had not taken off as significantly as his Test and ODI careers.
Marnus Labuschagne: A List of Each Broken Records
Marnus Labuschagne, an accomplished batter for the Australian cricket team, has made significant strides in international cricket since his debut in 2018.
His records, particularly in Test cricket, highlight his exceptional skill and consistency. Here’s a detailed look at some of his significant records:
- Achieved the remarkable feat of scoring a hundred in each innings of a match.
- Ranked as the 2nd fastest to reach 3000 runs, achieving this milestone in just 51 innings.
- Notable for his partnerships, he holds the record for the highest partnership for the eighth wicket in One-Day Internationals (ODIs), an impressive 112* runs.
- Stands out for scoring hundreds in consecutive innings on three occasions, a testament to his consistency and prowess.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- Recorded the 11th highest runs in an innings by batting position with an unbeaten 80*.
- Known for his boundary-hitting abilities, he once hit 19 fours in an innings, placing him 42nd in this category.
- In terms of partnerships, he again shines with the 7th highest partnership for the eighth wicket in ODIs, scoring 112* runs.
ODI Records in Detail:
- Bowling: Although primarily a batter, he has a notable entry in bowling, ranking 41st for the worst career bowling average (without qualification) at 115.00.
Test Records in Detail:
- Ranks 45th for the most runs in a match, with a high score of 308 runs.
- Holds the 26th position for the highest career batting average at 53.36.
- Notched double hundreds and hundreds in a match.
- Stands 5th for scoring hundreds in consecutive innings three times.
- Ranks 22nd for hundreds in consecutive matches.
- Placed 33rd for scoring fifties in consecutive innings five times.
- Notable for his rapid scoring, ranking 14th as the fastest to 1000 runs (18 innings), 5th to 2000 runs (34 innings), and 2nd to 3000 runs (51 innings).
- Holds the 47th position for the highest partnership for the third wicket (251 runs) and 21st for the fourth wicket (297 runs).
Combined Test, ODI, and T20I Records:
- Labuschagne’s ability to score hundreds in consecutive innings and matches is highlighted across formats, ranking 6th and 19th respectively.
A Glimpse into Marnus Labuschagne’s Personal Story
Marnus Labuschagne, renowned for his contributions to the Australian cricket team, has a rich family background that complements his illustrious cricketing career.
Born on June 22, 1994, in Klerksdorp, South Africa, Labuschagne’s journey from South Africa to international cricket stardom in Australia is a fascinating tale of talent, dedication, and familial support.
Labuschagne was born to South African parents in the North West province of South Africa. \
His family’s move to Australia in 2004, when he was just 10 years old, was driven by his father’s employment in the mining industry. This move marked the beginning of Labuschagne’s journey in cricket.
Growing up speaking Afrikaans, Labuschagne faced the challenge of adapting to a new culture and language in Australia. He attended Brisbane State High School, where he gradually became fluent in English.
Personal Life and Family
Labuschagne married Rebekah on May 26, 2017. The couple welcomed their first child, a daughter named Hallie, on September 20, 2022.
The birth of his daughter adds a new dimension to Labuschagne’s life, balancing the roles of a father and an international cricketer.
The family also includes a chocolate Labrador named ‘Milo,’ who is a part of their home life and occasionally features in Labuschagne’s social media posts.
Interests Beyond Cricket
Labuschagne’s love for coffee is well-known. He completed a barista course at 21 and is often seen with his commercial-grade coffee machine on tours with the Australian Cricket Team.
His dedication to coffee was evident during the tour to Pakistan, where he brought 30 kg of coffee beans and 1000L of oat milk for the team.
Behind Marnus Labuschagne’s Net Worth
Marnus Labuschagne, a key middle-order batsman for Australia, has seen his net worth grow significantly in recent years, reflecting his rising stature in international cricket.
As of 2023, Labuschagne’s net worth is estimated at $5 million, approximately INR 40 crores, a testament to his success both on and off the cricket field.
Net Worth and Earnings
- Overall Net Worth: Labuschagne’s net worth stands at around $5 million (INR 40 crores), with a major portion stemming from his Cricket Australia contract worth $1.2 million.
- Annual Income: His annual income is estimated at $1.5 million, which includes earnings from cricket, endorsements, and advertisements.
- Cricket Australia Contract: The bulk of his earnings come from his contract with Cricket Australia, valued at $1.2 million.
- Match Fees: He earns $20,000 for a Test match, $15,000 for an ODI, and $10,000 for a T20 match.
- Big Bash League (BBL) Salary: Labuschagne’s salary in the BBL ranges between $40,000 to $50,000 approximately.
Endorsements and Business Ventures
He is sponsored by Kookaburra cricket. And widely known has been associated with brands like Nike, Weetbix, and Optus. However, Labuschagne owns his own coffee brand, The Run Club Coffee Co.
Labuschagne owns a Toyota SUV, as seen in his Instagram posts. Meanwhile, he and his wife Rebekah own two homes in Brisbane’s bayside.
One of these houses, bought in April 2019, is valued at $915,000. They previously lived in a four-bedroom house at Wellington Point, worth $585,000.
7 Controversy Involving Marnus Labuschagne
Marnus Labuschagne, a prominent figure in Australian cricket, has been involved in several controversies that have sparked discussions and debates in the cricketing world. Here’s a detailed look at some of these incidents:
1. Controversial Catch Against South Africa
The decision was highly debated, with umpire Simon Taufel commenting on the situation, acknowledging why South Africa felt aggrieved by the call.
2. Umpiring Call Dispute
Labuschagne expressed dissatisfaction with the umpiring decisions in a match, particularly concerning the dismissals of Steve Smith and Marcus Stoinis.
He indicated that Australia would seek clarity from the ICC and umpires about these debatable decisions.
3. Booed Off Field for Alleged ‘Cheating’ Act
In an incident that drew significant attention, Labuschagne was booed off the field after being involved in a controversial act during a match.
The nature of this act and the subsequent reaction from the crowd highlighted the divisive nature of the incident.
4. Controversy Over Third Umpire Catch Review
Labuschagne was involved in another controversy regarding a disputed catch that was reviewed by the third umpire.
His escape from being declared out in this situation was a point of contention, especially among the South African team.
5. Ashes ‘Cheating’ Storm with Ben Stokes
During the fourth day of the fourth Ashes Test at Old Trafford, Labuschagne found himself at the center of a ‘cheating’ storm. His actions during the game led to criticism from England’s Ben Stokes, further fueling the controversy.
6. DRS Drama and ICC Review Calls
Labuschagne and Australian coach Andrew McDonald expressed doubts over certain decisions in a match, hoping for clarity from the ICC after the Proteas benefited from what they considered ‘confusing’ reviews.
7. Sledging Incident in World Cup Final
Despite the hostile environment and the pressure of the situation, he managed to maintain his composure. Labuschagne’s response to the sledging was to ignore it, focusing instead on his game.
All You Need to Know about Marnus Labuschagne
What is Marnus Labuschagne famous for?
Marnus Labuschagne is famous for being a prolific run-scorer and a key player for the Australian cricket team. He is known for his unorthodox batting technique and his ability to score runs in difficult conditions. Labuschagne has been a consistent performer for Australia in recent years, and he is widely regarded as one of the best batsmen in the world.
Who is the best batsman in Australia team?
Marnus Labuschagne is widely considered to be the best batsman in the Australian cricket team. He is currently ranked the number one Test batsman in the world by the ICC. Labuschagne has scored over 2,500 runs in Test cricket at an average of over 50, and he has scored five centuries in his last 10 Tests. Labuschagne is a technically sound batsman who is difficult to dismiss, and he is also a very good fielder.
What type of bowler is Labuschagne?
Marnus Labuschagne is a right-arm leg spin bowler. He is a part-time bowler who is not as regularly used as the other bowlers in the Australian team, but he has taken some important wickets in his career. Labuschagne is a very accurate bowler who is able to bowl with good flight and spin.
How lucky is Marnus Labuschagne?
Marnus Labuschagne is a very talented cricketer, but he has also been fortunate in his career. He has benefited from a number of lucky breaks, such as being selected for the Australian team at a relatively young age and scoring a century on his Test debut. Labuschagne has also been able to avoid serious injury, which is important for any cricketer. However, it is important to note that Labuschagne is also a very hard worker and he has dedicated his life to his cricket career. He is a very determined and focused cricketer who is always striving to improve.