Lockie Ferguson is a promising fast-bowler for New Zealand’s squad in any form of the game. Widely known for his exceptional speed, Ferguson becoming one of the best bowler in the world.
Summary and Key TakeawaysShow
Lockie Ferguson: Formidable Fast Bowler of the Kiwi
Lockie Ferguson is a New Zealand cricketer known for his exceptional speed and ability to generate raw pace. He has represented the New Zealand national team and has played domestic cricket for Auckland.
Ferguson has also been a part of various T20 franchises, including the Rising Pune Supergiant, Kolkata Knight Riders, and Gujarat Titans in the Indian Premier League (IPL). Let’s take a closer look at his cricket career.
Lockie Ferguson had a breakthrough season in 2014-15, where he took 21 wickets at an average of 23.38 in first-class cricket.
He followed it up with 31 wickets in the next season, further establishing himself as a promising fast bowler. His ability to generate raw pace earned him a place in the New Zealand squad for limited-overs cricket.
In domestic cricket, Ferguson has represented Auckland and New Zealand A. He has been a sporadic presence in the Auckland side in his early years but had a breakout season in 2014-15.
He has also played for Derbyshire in England and had a stint with Yorkshire County Cricket Club in the T20 Blast competition.
Ferguson has since become a regular member of the New Zealand limited-overs squad, known for his speed and ability to pick up crucial wickets.
IPL Career and Other Franchise Cricket
Lockie Ferguson has had a notable career in the Indian Premier League (IPL), representing different franchises over the years.
Lockie Ferguson was initially picked up by the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in the 2019 IPL auction for INR 1.6 crore. He played for KKR for three seasons, showcasing his skills as a fast bowler.
In his debut season with KKR in 2019, Ferguson played 5 matches and took 6 wickets at an average of 19.83.
The following season, in 2020, he played 9 matches and claimed 6 wickets at an average of 33.50. In his final season with KKR in 2021, Ferguson played 7 matches and picked up 8 wickets at an average of 26.37.
In the 2022 IPL auction, Lockie Ferguson was bought by the Gujarat Titans. Representing the Titans, he continued to make an impact with his pace and wicket-taking ability.
In the 2022 season, Ferguson played 14 matches for the Gujarat Titans and took 10 wickets at an average of 31.65.
Lockie Ferguson played for the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in the 2024 IPL season. RCB acquired him during the IPL 2024 Auction in Dubai. Ferguson was bought for a price of INR 2 crore.
Career Across Formats
- Test Cricket: Ferguson made his Test debut against Australia in Perth in late 2019. Unfortunately, his debut was cut short due to a calf strain in the second session of day one.
- ODI Cricket: Ferguson has been a key player in New Zealand’s ODI team. He had a standout performance in the 2019 World Cup, where he took 21 wickets at an average of 19.47 and an economy rate of 4.88. He has played 65 ODIs, picking up 99 wickets at an average of 31.56.
- T20I Cricket: Ferguson made his T20I debut in early 2017 and has represented New Zealand in 36 matches. He has taken 49 wickets at an average of 20.02.
Cricket Records of Lockie Ferguson
Lockie Ferguson, a prominent bowler for the New Zealand cricket team, has made significant strides in his international career from 2016 to 2024.
His records in Tests, ODIs, and T20s highlight his exceptional skills in the cricketing arena. Here’s a detailed look at some of his notable records:
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- Most wickets taken hit wicket: Ferguson holds a unique record in T20Is, being the first in terms of taking the most wickets via hit wicket, with a total of 2 such dismissals.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- Fastest to 50 wickets: In ODIs, Ferguson ranks 38th for being the fastest to reach 50 wickets, achieving this milestone in just 29 matches.
- Best career strike rate: With a strike rate of 15.5, Ferguson is placed 47th in T20Is, showcasing his efficiency in taking wickets at regular intervals.
- Most wickets taken caught by a wicketkeeper: He also ranks 41st for having the most wickets taken caught by a wicketkeeper, with 9 dismissals in this category.
- Most wickets taken hit wicket: Again, he leads in this unique category with 2 wickets taken via hit wicket in T20Is.
Lockie Ferguson: A Glimpse into His Family Life
Lockie Ferguson, a renowned New Zealand cricketer known for his extraordinary pace bowling, has a family background that has significantly contributed to his cricketing journey. Here’s a comprehensive look at his family details:
Parents and Siblings
- Father: Doug Ferguson
- Mother: Jan Ferguson
- Brother: Mitch Ferguson (Elder)
Lockie was born on June 13, 1991, in Auckland, New Zealand. He grew up in a supportive family environment with his parents and elder brother, Mitch. His father, Doug, and mother, Jan, have been instrumental in nurturing his talents from a young age.
Early Life and Education
Lockie’s cricketing journey began in Auckland, where he attended Auckland Grammar School. During his school days, he won the National Schools Fast Bowling Competition in 2008, showcasing his potential early on.
He started playing cricket at the Parnell Cricket Club in Auckland, laying the foundation for his future career.
- Ex-Wife: Kat Houk
- Current Relationship: Emma Komocki
Lockie Ferguson was previously married to Kat Houk. Their relationship gained public attention, especially during the 2019 World Cup. However, the marriage did not last, and they parted ways. Currently, Lockie is in a relationship with Emma Komocki.
Apart from cricket, Lockie enjoys traveling and playing golf. These hobbies reflect his adventurous spirit and love for outdoor activities.
Lockie Ferguson’s Net Worth Report
Lockie Ferguson, the New Zealand cricket sensation, has made a significant impact both on and off the field.
His net worth, earnings, and financial ventures reflect his successful cricketing career. Here’s a detailed look at Lockie Ferguson’s financial profile:
- Estimated Net Worth (2023): $2 million (approximately 15-16 crore Indian Rupees)
- Sources of Income: Primarily from cricket, including national and international matches, IPL, and other leagues.
- New Zealand Cricket Board Contract: Ferguson earns a substantial amount from the New Zealand Cricket Board. His exact earnings from the board are not publicly disclosed.
- IPL Salary: In the IPL, Ferguson’s salary has been quite impressive. For the 2023 season, he was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders for a whopping 10 crore INR (approximately $1.25 million).
- Match Fees: His earnings also include match fees from various formats like Test, ODI, and T20I matches.
IPL Journey and Earnings
- 2017: Rising Pune Supergiant – Rs. 50 Lakhs
- 2019-2021: Kolkata Knight Riders – Rs. 1.6 crores each year
- 2022: Gujarat Titans – Rs. 10 crores
- 2023: Kolkata Knight Riders – Rs. 10 crores
- Total IPL Earnings: Rs. 25.3 crores
Controversy Involving Ferguson: The Boundary Count Rule in the Final World Cup 2019
In the final ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2019, between England and New Zealand, the match ended in a tie after both teams scored the same number of runs in the Super Over.
The winner was then decided based on the number of boundaries hit throughout the match, which favored England and led to their victory.
Lockie Ferguson, along with his New Zealand teammates, was aware of the boundary count rule before the tournament started. However, they did not anticipate that the final would come down to this rule.
Anything You Need to Know about Lockie Ferguson
What type of bowler is Lockie Ferguson?
Lockie Ferguson is a right-arm fast bowler known for his:
- Searing pace: He regularly clocks over 150 kph (93 mph), making him one of the fastest bowlers in the world.
- Swing bowling: He can generate both inswing and outswing, making him unpredictable and challenging for batsmen.
- Bouncers: He uses the bouncer effectively to unsettle batsmen and extract awkward responses.
- Accuracy: Though known for his pace, he doesn’t compromise on line and length, maintaining good control over his deliveries.
Which team is Lockie Ferguson in IPL?
Since he didn’t participate in IPL 2023, there wasn’t a team associated with him during that season. However, he was recently picked up by Kolkata Knight Riders for IPL 2024 at a whopping 4.6 crore INR. He’s yet to make his debut for the franchise.
Has Lockie had surgery?
Yes, Lockie Ferguson has undergone a few surgeries throughout his career to manage injuries, primarily on his right shoulder. He had surgeries in 2016, 2018, and most recently in 2021. These surgeries haven’t significantly hampered his career, and he continues to be a valuable player for New Zealand and his upcoming IPL team.
How fast does Lockie Ferguson bowl?
Lockie Ferguson is renowned for his blistering pace, consistently exceeding 150 kph (93 mph). His fastest recorded delivery reached 157.3 kph (97.7 mph), making him one of the world’s fastest bowlers.