Daryl Mitchel is a versatile all-rounder for the Black Caps. Widely known for an aggressive right-arm batting across all format, both domestic and international cricket.
Summary and Key TakeawaysShow
Daryl Mitchell: A Prominent All-Rounder of New Zealand Cricket Squad
Daryl Joseph Mitchell, born on May 20, 1991, in Hamilton, New Zealand, has emerged as a prominent figure in the cricketing world.
His journey from domestic circuits to international arenas and the Indian Premier League (IPL) showcases his versatility and skill as a cricketing all-rounder.
Mitchell’s cricketing journey began in earnest when he joined Northern Districts in the 2011-12 season.
His early years were marked by a move from Northern Districts to Canterbury, showcasing his growing prominence in domestic cricket.
His formative years in Australia, playing school and grade cricket in Western Australia, laid a solid foundation for his future success.
Mitchell’s domestic career took off with Northern Districts, where he played from the 2011/12 season to the 2019/20 season.
In 2020/21, he moved to Canterbury, further enhancing his reputation in New Zealand’s domestic circuit.
His performances in the Plunket Shield and the Super Smash were particularly noteworthy, with Mitchell becoming a regular feature in these tournaments.
Mitchell’s international debut came in 2019, starting with T20Is and quickly expanding to Tests and ODIs.
His adaptability was evident as he cemented his place in the New Zealand team, playing various roles as required.
Notable achievements include his first Test century against Pakistan in 2021 and his first ODI century in the same year against Bangladesh. He was also a key player in New Zealand’s squad for the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.
Mitchell’s IPL journey began with the Rajasthan Royals in 2022, where his performances caught the eye of many.
In 2024, he was acquired by Chennai Super Kings for a significant sum, reflecting his rising stature in the T20 format.
His ability to adapt to different playing conditions and roles made him a valuable asset in the IPL.
Career Across Formats
- Test Cricket: Mitchell has shown remarkable consistency in Tests, with a notable series against England in 2022 where he scored three consecutive centuries.
- ODI Cricket: His ODI career is highlighted by a high batting average and crucial innings, including centuries that have anchored New Zealand’s batting lineup.
- T20I Cricket: In T20Is, Mitchell has been a flexible player, adapting to various batting positions and roles, contributing both with the bat and the ball.
Cricket Records of Daryl Mitchell
Daryl Mitchell, a versatile batting all-rounder for New Zealand, has made a significant impact in international cricket since his debut in 2019.
His achievements across Test, ODI, and T20I formats reflect his adaptability and skill. Here’s a detailed look at some of his notable records:
- 10th Most Runs in a Match on the Losing Side: Scored 252 runs.
- 25th Highest Career Batting Average: Averages 53.77.
- 22nd Hundreds in Consecutive Matches: Scored centuries in three consecutive matches.
- 33rd Fifties in Consecutive Innings: Scored half-centuries in five consecutive innings.
- 37th Highest Partnership for the Fifth Wicket: Shared a 236-run stand.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
- 8th Highest Career Batting Average: Averages 52.56.
- 14th Hundred in Last Match: Scored 134 runs in his last ODI match.
- 12th Most Hundreds in a Calendar Year: Hit 5 centuries in a year.
- 5th No Ducks in Career: Remained not out in 35 innings.
- 17th Fastest to 1000 Runs: Achieved this milestone in just 24 innings.
- 27th Most Catches in a Series: Took 11 catches in a series.
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
- 31st Fewest Ducks in Career: Recorded only 28 ducks.
- 23rd Most Catches in an Innings: Took 3 catches in a single innings.
- 1st Most Catches by a Substitute in an Innings: Achieved this unique record.
Combined Test, ODI, and T20I Records:
- 19th Hundreds in Consecutive Matches: Scored centuries in three consecutive matches across formats.
- 19th Fewest Ducks in Career: Recorded only 40.66 ducks in his career.
Family and Personal Story of Daryl Mitchell
Daryl Mitchell, a prominent New Zealand cricketer, comes from a family with a strong sporting background.
Born on May 20, 1991, in Hamilton, New Zealand, Daryl’s entry into the world of cricket was influenced by his family’s athletic inclinations.
His father, John Mitchell, is a notable figure in rugby. John, a former rugby player, has carved out a successful coaching career, including a stint as the defense coach for the Japan national rugby team.
His achievements in coaching span over 25 years and include significant victories such as the Bledisloe Cup and the Tri Nations series.
Daryl’s mother, Kay Mitchell, separated from John when Daryl and his sister Ciara were young, but they managed to co-parent effectively. Despite the separation, Daryl maintains a close relationship with both parents.
Early Cricket Journey
Daryl’s life took a significant turn when his family moved to Perth, Australia, for his father’s coaching duties.
This relocation played a crucial role in shaping his cricketing career. During his time in Perth, Daryl had the opportunity to play alongside notable Australian cricketers like Andrew Tye, Marcus Harris, and Marcus Stoinis.
His cricket journey is marked by significant milestones, including representing Western Australia in various age groups and participating in the Australian Centre of Excellence.
Married and Children
In his personal life, Daryl Mitchell is married to Amy Mitchell. The couple tied the knot on July 8, 2017, after dating for three years, starting from 2014.
Amy and Daryl are parents to two children, Addison Joyce Mitchell and Lily. The family has been a significant support system for Daryl, often seen rooting for him during his cricket matches.
Daryl Mitchell’s Net Worth: A Comprehensive Overview
Daryl Mitchell, a prominent New Zealand cricketer, has made a significant mark in the world of cricket with his all-round performance.
His financial success is as impressive as his sports career. Here’s a detailed look at Daryl Mitchell’s net worth, including his earnings, endorsements, assets, and other financial details.
Net Worth and Earnings
- Estimated Net Worth (2023): Daryl Mitchell’s net worth is estimated to be around $1 million USD, which is approximately INR 8 crores.
- IPL Salary: Mitchell was bought by Rajasthan Royals for INR 75 lakhs in the 2022 IPL tournament. In a significant leap, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) acquired him for INR 14 Crores in the IPL 2024 auction, marking him as one of the most expensive Black Cap players in IPL history.
Career and Income Sources
- Domestic and International Cricket: Mitchell has been a consistent performer in domestic cricket, playing for teams like Northern Districts, Canterbury, Middlesex, and others. His international debut for New Zealand in various formats has also contributed to his earnings.
Two Biggest Controversies Involving Daryl Mitchell
Daryl Mitchell, the New Zealand cricketer, has been involved in a couple of notable controversies during his career. Here’s a comprehensive look at these incidents, arranged from the most recent:
1. World Cup Controversy (2023)
During the World Cup, former Australia all-rounder Simon O’Donnell criticized the New Zealand team, including Daryl Mitchell, for being too nice to their opponents.
This criticism came after New Zealand’s loss to India in the World Cup, where Virat Kohli scored his 50th ODI century.
The controversy sparked when New Zealand players helped Kohli, who was down with a cramp during the match.
Daryl Mitchell responded to O’Donnell’s comments, defending the team’s approach and sportsmanship.
He emphasized that the Black Caps pride themselves on playing cricket in a manner that reflects their national values and how they want their children to play the game.
Mitchell, along with Kane Williamson and other team members, maintained that they would continue to play cricket their way, focusing on sportsmanship and respect.
2. DRS Controversy (2019)
In a T20 International against India in Auckland, Daryl Mitchell was involved in a contentious Decision Review System (DRS) decision.
The decision was met with disbelief and disappointment, not only from Daryl Mitchell but also from his teammates and the cricketing community.
Anything You Need to Know about Daryl Mitchell
What is Daryl Mitchell ranked in the ODI?
As of today, Daryl Mitchell is ranked 6th in the ICC ODI Batting Rankings. This is a testament to his consistent and impressive performances in the format.
Did Daryl Mitchell play in IPL?
Yes, Daryl Mitchell has played in the IPL since 2017. He has represented several teams throughout his IPL career, including the Sunrisers Hyderabad, Delhi Capitals, Kolkata Knight Riders, and most recently, the Royal Challengers Bangalore in IPL 2023.