Started his cricket career in Dombivli, these days, Ajinkya Rahane remained a key figure in Test cricket and the IPL. Let’s discover the story of India’s most accomplished batsman overseas, through his stats, records, and controversies.
Summary & Key TakeawaysShow
Ajinkya Rahane: The Most Accomplished Test Cricket Figure
Ajinkya Rahane, also known as ‘Jinx’ is a prominent figure in India cricket, has carved a niche for himself with his technical prowess and consistent performances across formats.
Born on June 6, 1988, in Maharashtra, Rahane’s journey from the matted wickets of Dombivli to the grand stages of international cricket is a proof to his dedication and skill.
Rahane’s cricketing journey began in Dombivli, where he trained on matted wickets due to limited resources.
Under the guidance of Pravin Amre from the age of 17, he honed his skills and made a mark in junior cricket.
His first-class debut came in 2007 for Mumbai against Karachi Urban, where he scored a century, showcasing his potential early on.
In the domestic circuit, Rahane quickly rose through the ranks. His second Ranji season was particularly remarkable, scoring 1089 runs and playing a key role in Mumbai’s title win.
His consistent performances in domestic cricket, including a notable 265 not-out against Hyderabad, earned him a spot in India’s Test squad.
Rahane’s international debut came in a T20I against England in 2011. His Test debut followed in 2013 against Australia, where he initially struggled but soon found his footing.
Rahane’s first Test century was against New Zealand in Wellington in 2014. He became a crucial part of the India Test team, especially in overseas conditions, with memorable innings in South Africa, England, and Australia.
His leadership skills were also highlighted when he captained India to a historic Test series win in Australia in 2020-21.
Known for his steady opening and ability to anchor the innings, Rahane has been a consistent performer in the prestigious Indian Premier League.
Career Across Formats
In Tests, Rahane has been a reliable middle-order batsman, known for his solid technique and ability to play in challenging conditions
His ODI career, though less consistent, includes some notable performances, such as his century against England at Edgbaston.
In T20Is, Rahane has shown his adaptability, playing crucial innings in various situations.
Cricket Records List of Ajinkya Rahane
Ajinkya Rahane, a top-order batter for India, has made a significant impact in the cricketing world from 2011 to 2023.
His records in Tests, ODIs, and T20Is reflect his versatility and skill as a cricketer. Here’s a detailed look at some of his significant records:
– Achieved the rare feat of scoring a hundred in each innings of a match.
– Holds the record for the most catches in a match with 8 catches.
– Joined the elite club of players with over 5000 runs and 50 fielding dismissals.
– Recorded the most catches in an innings with 5 catches.
– Stands 40th in the most catches in a career with 102 catches.
One-Day Internationals (ODIs):
Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is):
– Scored the most runs in a debut match in T20Is, totaling 61 runs.
– Second in the record for the most catches in a T20I innings with 4 catches.
Combined Test, ODI, and T20I Records:
– Holds the 49th position for the most catches in a career across formats with 166 catches.
Family Background and Personal Story of Ajinkya Rahane
Ajinkya Rahane’s journey from a modest background to becoming a celebrated cricketer is a testament to his dedication and the support of his family. Here are background story of Rahane:
Early Life and Family Background
Ajinkya Rahane was born on June 6, 1988, in Ashwi KD, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra, India.
His father, Madhukar Baburao Rahane, worked as a civil engineer at BEST (Brihanmumbai Electric Supply & Transport Undertaking).
His mother, Sujata Rahane, played a significant role in his early cricket training. Due to financial constraints, she used to walk him to the cricket camp while carrying his kit bag and his younger brother.
Rahane has a younger brother named Shashank and a younger sister named Apurva.
Marriage and Children
Ajinkya Rahane married Radhika Dhopavkar on September 26, 2014. Their marriage was an arranged one, but they had known each other since their teenage days.
The couple has two children: a daughter named Aarya, born in October 2019, and a son born in October 2022.
Struggles and Early Training
Rahane’s journey in cricket began at a young age when his father took him to a cricket camp in Dombivli with a matting wicket, as they could not afford better facilities.
He completed his schooling at SV Joshi High School in Dombivli and was pursuing a B.Com course when he was called into the India Test team.
Rahane began training under former India batsman Pravin Amre when he was 17 years old.
Behind the Wealth: Ajinkya Rahane’s Net Worth Report
Ajinkya Rahane, a renowned India cricketer, has established himself not only as a skilled batsman but also as a financially successful athlete.
His journey in cricket has translated into substantial earnings and assets, contributing to an impressive net worth. Here’s a comprehensive look at Rahane’s financial status:
Net Worth and Earnings
- As of 2023, Ajinkya Rahane’s net worth is estimated to be around $11 million (approximately INR 75 crores).
- His primary source of income stems from his cricketing career, including salaries from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), match fees, and participation in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Rahane’s IPL contract has varied over the years. In 2021, he had a contract worth INR 5.25 crore with Delhi Capitals, and in 2023, he signed a deal worth INR 50 lakh with Chennai Super Kings.
- His annual income is estimated to be around INR 8 crores, with a monthly income and salary exceeding 50 lakhs.
Assets and Properties
- Rahane owns a luxurious house in the upscale suburb of Bandra, Mumbai, valued at several crores.
- He has invested in multiple real-estate properties across India, including a farmhouse in his hometown of Sangli.
- His car collection includes high-end models like Audi Q5, Mercedes, Volvo, BMW X5, Toyota Fortuner, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.
Brand Endorsements and Other Incomes
Brand endorsements form a significant part of Rahane’s income. He has been associated with brands like Boost, CEAT, NeoGrowth, Games24x7, ELSA Corp, Hudle, and Rario.
6 Top Controversy in Ajinkya Rahane’s Cricket Career
Ajinkya Rahane, a prominent figure in India cricket, has been involved in several controversies over the years. Here’s a comprehensive look at these incidents, arranged from the most recent:
1. Controversial Statement About Credit in Australia (2022)
In February 2022, Rahane made headlines with a cryptic statement about not receiving credit for decisions he made during the India tour of Australia in 2021.
He expressed his disappointment over others taking credit for his contributions, highlighting his role in leading the team to a series win after a humiliating defeat in the first test at Adelaide.
2. No-Ball Incident with Pat Cummins (Date Not Specified)
This incident had a significant impact on the match, as Rahane and Ravindra Jadeja then formed a crucial partnership, adding to India’s score.
3. Decision in Duleep Trophy Final (2022)
In September 2022, Rahane, as the West Zone captain, made a bold decision during the Duleep Trophy final.
He asked his teammate Yashasvi Jaiswal to leave the field following complaints from South Zone batter Ravi Teja about Jaiswal’s verbal duels.
Rahane emphasized the importance of respecting opponents and the game.
4. Complaint Against Virat Kohli (Date Not Specified)
The complaint was about Kohli’s alleged harsh treatment in the dressing room.
5. Comments on Religious Bias Allegations Against Wasim Jaffer (2021)
In February 2021, Rahane dodged questions about allegations of religious bias against Wasim Jaffer, who had resigned as the coach of Uttarakhand. Rahane chose not to comment on the controversy, stating he didn’t have enough information.
6. Hotel Quarantine Challenges in Sydney (2021)
In January 2021, Rahane addressed the challenges faced by the India team during their hotel quarantine in Sydney.
Ajinkya Rahane stated that while the team was not annoyed, being confined to their hotel rooms was challenging, especially when life outside was normal.
Anything You Need to Know about Ajinkya Rahane
Who is the wife of Ajinkya Rahane?
Ajinkya Rahane is married to Radhika Dhopavkar. They tied the knot in 2014 and have two daughters, Arya and Inaya.
Why is Ajinkya called Jinx?
Ajinkya Rahane earned the nickname “Jinx” due to a perceived tendency to get dismissed on scores ending in the number 99. While this was just a playful observation, the nickname stuck and is fondly used by fans and teammates.
Which IPL teams has Rahane played for?
Throughout his IPL career, Ajinkya Rahane has represented five different teams:
- Mumbai Indians (2008-2010)
- Rajasthan Royals (2011-2015, 2018-2019)
- Rising Pune Supergiant (2016-2017)
- Delhi Capitals (2020-2021)
- Kolkata Knight Riders (2022)
- Chennai Super Kings (2023)
Why was Rahane dropped from ODI?
Ajinkya Rahane hasn’t been a regular member of the ODI squad since 2018. There’s no single definitive reason for his limited opportunities, but some possible factors include:
- Competition for places: India has a deep pool of talented middle-order batsmen, making it difficult for Rahane to find a consistent spot.
- Focus on Test cricket: With his success in the longer format, selectors might have prioritized him for Test matches.
- Recent form: Despite glimpses of brilliance, Rahane’s ODI performances haven’t been consistently strong enough to secure a permanent place.
Is Ajinkya Rahane a black belt?
While passionate about martial arts, Ajinkya Rahane does not hold a black belt in any specific discipline. He enjoys practicing karate and taekwondo, but hasn’t reached the black belt level.
Is Ajinkya Rahane won IPL?
Although Ajinkya Rahane has played in several IPL seasons, he hasn’t yet lifted the trophy as a champion. He was part of the Rajasthan Royals team that won the inaugural IPL season in 2008 but didn’t contribute significantly to their victory.
Is Rahane a T20 player?
While primarily known for his Test match exploits, Ajinkya Rahane is also a capable T20 player. He opens the batting in T20 cricket and boasts a decent strike rate. However, his T20 career hasn’t reached the same heights as his Test career, and he isn’t a regular in the Indian T20 team.